Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
padboll

padboll is on a distinguished road
Default FUP exceeded : tech info

Hi...
1) During the down time of proxy01.us1, I had several calls through Betamax with different accounts using proxy02 and... there was no FUP at all. Does someone got (abnormal) FUP since proxy01 is down and with route to proxy02?

2) My hardware is configured to switch to eu.voxalot.com if proxy01 fails. On yesterday failure, all similar hardware (family/friends) got the same behaviour: none has switched to eu. When pinging proxy01 (currently down), I don't get "host unreachable" but a long timeout... I think that, among things I tested in the past, the switching of this hardware was OK when ping gave "host unreachable".

1 & 2 make me think about a load-balancer issue, maybe with a DNS interaction.

Note: Since I'm in Europe, maybe this may be related to the server load: when I have a call here, most Americans are sleeping.

So, does someone can confirm/reject this? Does someone got FUP on proxy02 while proxy01 was done?
padboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

I don't want to downplay the issue of the server downtime with US proxy01 or the FUP issue....

However, on a strictly personal opinion, as far as BetaMax and FUP goes... I have come to understand that the FUP behaviour with third party PBX providers changes just like the weather does... in the past too much work has gone into it, only to be rendered invalid the next day.

The safest bet:
-Assume that all your calls over BetaMax will be charged...if they're not that's a bonus
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
padboll

Hi emoci. I understand your point of view and know that there were many work hours already spent on this.

However, I still hope that Betamax people will react soon. I'm still thinking they don't ignore how much they could loose their customers much faster than they got them, very soon. And I'm also convinced they will quickly understand how much Voxalot has an implication in their business on short, medium and mainly long term.
Unread 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Realistically, Betamax is in the business of terminating calls to traditional landline numbers. As much as we would all like free termination services, we know that there is a cost for this.

As such, my suggestion is to pick the service that gives the lowest cost overall for a certain level of service reliability, although it may charge for some calls that may be free on another service (For example, compare Actionvoip with Voipcheap).
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
padboll

Hello kurun, this was indeed one of the possible ways I intended to use if required. (ActionVoip was exactly the one I targeted.)
But for me it is more a problem of principle than money: I just would like not to promote Betamax if they cannot stop lying. For me there are only two behaviours: the collaborate or they don't.

I can understand that they don't answer to their own customers questions, and even complains due to the few employees they have. But when it is a strategic partner like Voxalot, I definitively cannot. (cfr. Martin mail that never got answer.)
If they don't want to collaborate, ok, just fine. But it should be clear.

So, I won't use this possible way: I sincerely prefer to spend more than the most expensive Betamax and test another non-Betamax provider. At least I give a chance to another company, probably more respectful of their customers. (Currently I think to voippro of voicetrading, but I still need to check there is no relationship with Betamax.)

Anyway, thank you for your comment.

PS: just for the closest family members, I manage 19 accounts (4 Poivy + 7 VoipCheap + 6 Rynga + 2 JustVoip). I should calculate how much is the total, taking into account larger family and friends...

Last edited by padboll; 08-18-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Note also that the "Free minutes" offered by Voipcheap, Poivy, etc are a rolling total of 300 minutes per week :
"Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days"

As such, it is easy to run into FUP problems once you use up 300 minutes, as you have to wait 7 days for the counter to reset.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
beaver

beaver is on a distinguished road

The betamax FUP has been discussed a while (actually years over years).

Here is my fix, I use a spa1001 (two sip service, line1/2 on one physical phoneline). and assign one of two lines as a dedicated line for betamax (in my case, spa1001 line2 runs betamax. line1 is with voxalot). I have been using bemamax this way six years.

It's a hardware solution, never heard any issues on this fix from any users.

Hence, I would recommend to use an ATA, running a dedicated line for betamax. The FUP issue will be completely gone.

Last edited by beaver; 08-19-2010 at 06:07 PM.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
fei2010

fei2010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver View Post
The betamax FUP has been discussed a while (actually years over years).

Here is my fix, I use a spa1001 (two sip service, line1/2 on one physical phoneline). and assign one of two lines as a dedicated line for betamax (in my case, spa1001 line2 runs betamax. line1 is with voxalot). I have been using bemamax this way six years.

It's a hardware solution, never heard any issues on this fix from any users.

Hence, I would recommend to use an ATA, running a dedicated line for betamax. The FUP issue will be completely gone.
So in your line 1 with voxalot, you don't use betamax? then you have to choose to use line1 or line2 based on something?

I also have spa1001, line1 with voxalot, and my voxalot configured to use betamax account for US/CAN calls and other provider for international calls. line2 is directly registered with betamax account(same acct that registered with voxalot). So basically I have registered betamax in multiple places. Will this encounter FUP?
fei2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
beaver

beaver is on a distinguished road

Dial # to select line2. It's Linksys feature and its products have this feature.
In your setting, line1 may still get FUP. But the line2 should be safe absolutely.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg is on a distinguished road

I have a Siemens S685IP phone which can have a total of 6 Voip providers set up on it. Whichever Betamax clone I want to get free calls from is setup directly in the phone, no FUP!

Shame I can't get freedays via Voxalot. When they are used up I use up the credit via Voxalot
serendipitydawg is offline   Reply With Quote