Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

 
 
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
rec9140
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rec9140 is on a distinguished road
Question Settings - Dial Plans, Registration Timeout and Netgear WGR615V

I've recently aquired a Netgear WGR615V wireless VOIP router.

In configuring for VOXALOT I seem to be having a problem in finding the correct and/or optimum setting for the SIP registration.

Looking at the tutorial I see a 900 seconds, thats way too long as calls end up in voice mail. I tried 600 from a thread here, still too long, calls in voice mail... I put in a 300 and that seems to be better, but its still loosing registration and calls go to voice mail.... If I unregister and re-register the provider things are back to ringing the phone.

So what is the CORRECT and/or OPTIMUM SIP Registration Timeout and SIP Registration Head Start Settings for VOXALOT??

Next Dial Plans....I reviewed the "tutorial" on them here and it was not very helpful.

The WGR615V has NO UNIT dial plan settings. I dial 500 to get VM not *500.

What I am looking for is help with dial plans to send calls to FWD, sipgate.co.uk, VBuzzer (internal numbers), voipuser to route the SIP internal numbers that route for free to each of these providers.

Sorting this all out will need to be done by the dial plans at voxalot.

Is there a better tutorial that can help with this as the present one just doesn't sink in it just starts to read like wahahah whaahahahaha like on Charlie Brown.

So I can dial someting like *2 and what ever after gets sent to FWD, and *3 gets sent to sipgate, etc.. I am only talking about the free VOIP calls that each allows. No outbound PTSN calls will be made.

Hints, pointers, tutorials, online testers???

Thanks in advance.
rec9140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
gambrinus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Augsburg, GERMANY
Posts: 84
Thanks: 28
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
gambrinus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to gambrinus Send a message via MSN to gambrinus Send a message via Skype™ to gambrinus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140 View Post
So I can dial someting like *2 and what ever after gets sent to FWD, and *3 gets sent to sipgate, etc.. I am only talking about the free VOIP calls that each allows. No outbound PTSN calls will be made.
1. First of all you need to enter the credentials for the respective providers in Voxalot's povider section.
2. Then you have to check whether your device allows to pass * or # at the beginning of a number and if it passes them over correctly to Voxalot.
3. Create dial plans in Voxalot. See my post here for details.
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gambrinus For This Useful Post:
rec9140 (05-20-2007)
Unread 05-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
rec9140
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rec9140 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
1. First of all you need to enter the credentials for the respective providers in Voxalot's povider section.
Done.. I've been using the various test messages numbers like VM 500 and the echo test and the SIP Broker PTSN numbers to make sure that the various *393fwd# etc work.

With the exception of the freespeches.co.uk|ie either blocking or something else these are all done (FWD, VBuzzer, VOIPUSER, SIPGATE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
2. Then you have to check whether your device allows to pass * or # at the beginning of a number and if it passes them over correctly to Voxalot.
I have no idea. Right now I dial 500 to get to VXL VM versus the *500 being posted.

I have no way to know unless theres a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
3. Create dial plans in Voxalot. See my post here for details.
Thanks thats a good starting point... I think I can work something out to try to send stuff to see what happens.....

Ok... some quick testing.....

I've setup 9*01 to FWD, 9*02 to Sipgate, etc... They seem to be working well.. I get the VM for SipGate on 50000, and the echo test on 713 for FWD...
rec9140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
gambrinus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Augsburg, GERMANY
Posts: 84
Thanks: 28
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
gambrinus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to gambrinus Send a message via MSN to gambrinus Send a message via Skype™ to gambrinus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140 View Post
I've setup 9*01 to FWD, 9*02 to Sipgate, etc... They seem to be working well.. I get the VM for SipGate on 50000, and the echo test on 713 for FWD...
So problem solved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140 View Post
I have no idea. Right now I dial 500 to get to VXL VM versus the *500 being posted.

I have no way to know unless theres a test.
To test this just alter the dial plans. I.e. remove the "9" in the dial plan (don't forget to change ${EXTEN:4} to ${EXTEN:3}) and test again. If it works you can save one digit (the leading "9")...

If you have less then 10 providers you even can leave the "0" out (9*01) so you end up in a two digit prefix and again save another digit to dial...
Of course again don't forget to change the Replacement to ${EXTEN:2}

BTW:
The ultimate solution would be to convince the users you are calling to register their PSTN numbers with an ENUM service (like www.e164.org). You then could dial their regular phone numbers and Voxalot would resolve them to the respective SIP URI...
Use the ENUM Replacement field in the dial plan to perform the lookup. E164 number format is CCAAANNNNN (CC=country code, AAA= area prefix, NNNNN= phone number).

gambrinus

Last edited by gambrinus; 05-19-2007 at 09:40 PM.
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
rec9140
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rec9140 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
So problem solved?

Ummm... well its solved in that I have a way to send numbers to specific providers now....

The whole bigger picture of dial plans... is .... "less murky."

To be the most robust and simplelest I still need to figure out a way that if you use the SIPGate Assigned UK PTSN number v. the SIPGATE SIP ID number to send it to them. Attempting to dial a non SIPGATE VOIP number ie: a real UK PTSN number should fail as I don't pay for that option.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
To test this just alter the dial plans. I.e. remove the "9" in the dial plan (don't forget to change ${EXTEN:4} to ${EXTEN:3}) and test again. If it works you can save one digit (the leading "9")...
Thats pretty much what I was going to try since that $EXTEN think makes some sense now.....

The so called "tutorial" I am afraid is not very tutorial, maybe if you've spent the last 20 years in a cave with SIP it makes sense.

A better tutorial on the whole dial plan thing would be great and then I could probably come up with some rules to sort out FWD #'s v. SIPGATE ones etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post

The ultimate solution would be to convince the users you are calling to register their PSTN numbers with an ENUM service (like www.e164.org). You then could dial their regular phone numbers and Voxalot would resolve them to the respective SIP URI...
My ultimate plan for VOIP is to have a virtual PBX that ties alot of things together and maybe even my own */Trixbox server in place of an online or in addition to an online virtual PBX.

The problem with ENUM is giving out phone numbers to a database that could potentially be misused. I don't give out my private numbers to 99% of the world so having it in some database its not going to fly. Most of the people I deal with are the same way. My privacy is very critical to me. The potential to misuse ENUM to find unlisted numbers is just not acceptable to most of my user base.

Thanks for the de-murking of some of the dial plan stuff.
rec9140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
rec9140
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rec9140 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well the WGR615V will NOT pass a LEADING *, immediate fast busy.

A leading # and it does nothing....which makes sense in that it thinks I'm done.

No big deal, as if you have to hit 9 then select a carrier that makes sense in a twisted PBX'esque way.

On a side note heres an interesting idea for the WGR615V's

broadband help » Forums » Up and Running » VOIP Tech Chat » [Unlock] Asterisk on Netgear WGR615V VoIP router?
rec9140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
gambrinus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Augsburg, GERMANY
Posts: 84
Thanks: 28
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
gambrinus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to gambrinus Send a message via MSN to gambrinus Send a message via Skype™ to gambrinus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140 View Post
The problem with ENUM is giving out phone numbers to a database that could potentially be misused. I don't give out my private numbers to 99% of the world so having it in some database its not going to fly. Most of the people I deal with are the same way. My privacy is very critical to me. The potential to misuse ENUM to find unlisted numbers is just not acceptable to most of my user base.
I actually don't see the point. You have an E-Mail Adress? Sure! It is also stored in "public" database (the mail server). The E-Mails you receive are being stored on a "public" server until you download them.
One could break in the mail server to steal all "valid" mail adresses. But spammers simply send out bulks of mails to all possible combinations of digits and letters and once they don't receive a "user unknown" error message from the server they know they hit a valid address.

Without knowing your phone number I can't do anything with ENUM. And why should a hacker try to break in the ENUM DNS Server when it is most easy to automatically try calling a whole IP address range? Or 000000-999999@voxalot.com. Or 0000000-9999999@sipgate.co.uk...

ENUM is NOT the white pages (unless you explicitly want to). ENUM is a great help for all VoIP users!!! Given the fact that with an automated dialling machine I will get through to you as well as if I break into the E164.org DNS server to steal all "valid" routes. I heard about the first possibility, it is being used daily, but I never heard about the latter (correct me if wrong!)... so for me it seems a little bit paranoic what you say...

But this is now getting OT...
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.