Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > SIP Broker Forums > SIP Broker Support

SIP Broker Support Support for the SIP Broker service.

Unread 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
adrianmarsh

adrianmarsh is on a distinguished road
Default Missing something basic

Hi All,

I'm missing some basic understanding of how Sipbroker works.

My Asterisk system is configured to Dial out to <number>@sipbroker.com

I understand, that if I'm on a SIP device, and I dial *xxx then a number, then Sipbroker can look that up and pass on the call.. But what I see, is that a user dials (eg) 0800123456, which gets dialled as 0800123456@sipbroker.com, and somehow Sipbroker is matching this to XYZ companies system and forwarding on.

So a couple of questions get raised, that I half-understand, that I'd like to confirm/correct:

1) I guess SIPbroker can lookup the 0800123456 and pattern match it to company XYZ, and pass that onto their server.
2) Could I register my block of numbers here so we can recieve call like this too?
3) If so, how do I do that? In the sipbroker webpages I can see about setting up my own sipbroker "number", but I can't see how my existing *xxx number is defined, or how I might add a block of numbers to associate to my server..

Like I said.. missing something basic.. (you might guess it wasn't me who added our A*k server to the sipbroker database....)

Last edited by adrianmarsh; 09-12-2007 at 03:48 PM.
adrianmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
kieranmullen

kieranmullen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kieranmullen Send a message via Yahoo to kieranmullen Send a message via Skype™ to kieranmullen

Does your server allow anonymous incomming connections?

Incoming...
The easiest way is to register your pstn numbers with e164.org and to which extension you want them to ring to. After they are verified you will then be able to call a sipbroker.com phone number and then dial your number.

If you dont have a psnt number you can opt for one of their free numbers from e164.org

For outgoing
There are setup instructions on how to use e164.org to lookup numbers in the database before they are sent to your voip or pstn provider.
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

What SipBorker does is this:

You dial *010-123456 (which is sent as *010123456@sipbroker.com)
It knows that *010 is linked to voxalot.com, so in turn it sends the call to 123456@voxalot.com)

Assuming that you have some form of sip uri associated with your asterisk server (proxy.com or sip.proxy.com) you could add it to the SipBroker list, and it will assign it a *SipCode for your server too, it doesn't like just IPs though.

To add a SIP server to the list see here, where it says add proxy: SIPBroker - PSTN Numbers

This is the quickest way if it works (so now people can call *YourSipCode-ExtensionInAsterisk@sipbroker.com)

Otherwise you'd have to register through e164.org, but this really only has value if you have DID numbers associated with various accounts.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
kieranmullen

kieranmullen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kieranmullen Send a message via Yahoo to kieranmullen Send a message via Skype™ to kieranmullen

yes you could register your server as a provider at sipbroker.com and theis would assign you a number for your server, from there you would enter the extension number of your choice or whatever other number you have setup in inbound routing.

However if each extension has a number associated with it, then it may be easier to register the numbers with e164.org since the numbers you already use are easier to remember and that is all you would have to enter when calling sipbroker rather than the some code + an extension or psnt number.

Not only will it make it less numbers for you by registereding with e164.org but also easier for other people tryign to reach you as well.

Since you did say you had a block of numbers you would ike to register contact support directly... Contacting support
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
adrianmarsh

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.. I understand the whole *xxx system of dialling a number and can see how sipbroker can just pass that onto an A*k server, and we're already registered for that. My A*k server can accept incoming SIP and IAX calls, but at the moment the dialplan won't cope with inbound full CLIs (our PSTN provider takes care of that regex change). I think I need to allow for that.

What I'm interested in, is how, for example, when Asterisk makes this call outbound:

-- Executing Dial("SIP/249-b78198f8", "SIP/+448001234567@sipbroker-out||W") in new stack
-- Called +448001234567@sipbroker-out

Most of the time I get a 300 returned, so sipbroker doesn't know this URI, but on occasion we do get a hit and the call gets routed through to XYZs PBX (I believe VIA sipbroker (?). Obviously, we're not dialling *1234 first or anything. Maybe this is where the e164.org ENUM comes into play?

I took a look at the e164.org site, and I can see that we can setup a single number (I guess intended to be per user). But how do I setup a range?

eg, if my numbers were +442071812300 through to +442071812399 and I want them routed through to some.ip.org, is that sipbroker, or e164.org ? Or just a DNS update for ENUM? (Does sipbroker do ENUM lookups for URIs it doesn't have in its own list) ?
Unread 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

SipBroker usually looks for *SipCode-Number pattern, and sends the call to Number@SipCodeAssociatedServer.

However if you dial a regular number in the format CountryCode-Number (or *013-CountryCode-Number, *013 is the default SIP Code, so if no SIPCode dialed this one is applied by default) it will perform an automatic enum lookup for you.

These are the servers that are looked up:

e164.arpa
e164.org
e164.info
e164.televolution.net
enum.org

So if in one of those servers there is a record that links a regular Number to a SIP URI it'll route the call to a SIP URI.

Most of those services are hard to get access to, unless you are a company or government, so e164.org is the only one where you can get a listing as an individual.

Get in touch directly with support at e164.org to add a range of numbers, assuming you own all those numbers though....

So in summary, even though you can receive SIP Calls, to allow people from outside to call you in *xxxx-ExtensionNumber format from SipBroker you need to add your asterisk server sip.myserver.com at SipBroker.

To link actual numbers to a specific SIP URI you need e164.org, however this will only work if the caller is performing an ENum lookup (most providers out there do not do this automatically) or they call you by first calling SipBroker then entering your number in full CountryCode-Number format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianmarsh View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.. I understand the whole *xxx system of dialling a number and can see how sipbroker can just pass that onto an A*k server, and we're already registered for that. My A*k server can accept incoming SIP and IAX calls, but at the moment the dialplan won't cope with inbound full CLIs (our PSTN provider takes care of that regex change). I think I need to allow for that.

What I'm interested in, is how, for example, when Asterisk makes this call outbound:

-- Executing Dial("SIP/249-b78198f8", "SIP/+448001234567@sipbroker-out||W") in new stack
-- Called +448001234567@sipbroker-out

Most of the time I get a 300 returned, so sipbroker doesn't know this URI, but on occasion we do get a hit and the call gets routed through to XYZs PBX (I believe VIA sipbroker (?). Obviously, we're not dialling *1234 first or anything. Maybe this is where the e164.org ENUM comes into play?

I took a look at the e164.org site, and I can see that we can setup a single number (I guess intended to be per user). But how do I setup a range?

eg, if my numbers were +442071812300 through to +442071812399 and I want them routed through to some.ip.org, is that sipbroker, or e164.org ? Or just a DNS update for ENUM? (Does sipbroker do ENUM lookups for URIs it doesn't have in its own list) ?

Last edited by emoci; 09-13-2007 at 03:33 PM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
adrianmarsh

thanks... that confirms what I thought, that SIPbroker was doing enum lookups.. I go take another look at e164