Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > SIP Broker Forums > SIP Broker Support

SIP Broker Support Support for the SIP Broker service.

Unread 12-07-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
rickbpdq

rickbpdq is on a distinguished road
Default Sipura 1001 no audio via sipbroker

Hello All,

I'm attempting to use Sipbroker with a Sipura 1001 and a Free World Dialup account.

When I dial a Sipbroker PSTN access number and enter *393 [my FWD number] # the call connects and both parties can hear each other. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this leads me to conclude that everything is copasetic with my firewall, device configuration, and codecs. Life is good.

Using X-Lite, I dial [my FWD number]@mydomain.dyndns.biz and both parties can hear each other. This leads me to conclude that everything is good regarding accepting incoming calls that do not come through FWD. Life is good.

My IPKALL number works fine as well.

However when I dial a Sipbroker PSTN access number and enter *011 1 [my Sipbroker alias] # the phone rings but when there is no audio: dead air. Neither party can hear the other.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by rickbpdq; 12-07-2007 at 06:16 AM.
rickbpdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbpdq View Post
Hello All,

I'm attempting to use Sipbroker with a Sipura 1001 and a Free World Dialup account.

When I dial a Sipbroker PSTN access number and enter *393 [my FWD number] # the call connects and both parties can hear each other. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this leads me to conclude that everything is copasetic with my firewall, device configuration, and codecs. Life is good.

Using X-Lite, I dial [my FWD number]@mydomain.dyndns.biz and both parties can hear each other. This leads me to conclude that everything is good regarding accepting incoming calls that do not come through FWD. Life is good.

However when I dial a Sipbroker PSTN access number and enter *011 1 [my Sipbroker alias] # the phone rings but when there is no audio: dead air. Neither party can hear the other.

Any thoughts?
Hmmm...

I assume the SipBroker alias is an alias for the FWD account in question right?

I also assume right now you have FWDNumber@fwd.pulver.com registered with SipBroker (to which you've assigned an alias), correct?

Give this a try FWDUserName@fwd.pulver.com instead and see if anything changes?

BTW, If you happen to have [my FWD number]@mydomain.dyndns.biz as the URI registered in SipBroker for which you have assigned an alias that could be the reason you're having an issue (I can only say this as a guess, but to the best of my knowledge, SipBroker is fond of SRV records, and the dyndns adress is propably only an A record)
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
rickbpdq

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Hmmm...

I assume the SipBroker alias is an alias for the FWD account in question right?

I also assume right now you have FWDNumber@fwd.pulver.com registered with SipBroker (to which you've assigned an alias), correct?

Give this a try FWDUserName@fwd.pulver.com instead and see if anything changes?

BTW, If you happen to have [my FWD number]@mydomain.dyndns.biz as the URI registered in SipBroker for which you have assigned an alias that could be the reason you're having an issue (I can only say this as a guess, but to the best of my knowledge, SipBroker is fond of SRV records, and the dyndns adress is propably only an A record)
To answer the first question, I chose my FWD number as my sipbroker alias. This is so that the FWD line in my SPA1001 will function as both my FWD line and the handler of any incoming direct-dial calls.

I did as you suggested, and changed my SipBroker user ID to [my FWD number]@fwd.pulver.com. It worked. I was able to get two way audio by entering *0111[my SipBroker alias]#. But my goal in setting up a SipBroker account was to bypass FWD altogether. FWD is fairly stable but sometimes there are outages with the proxy servers. So I want a method to connect directly to my system without having to go through FWD, to cut out the middleman so to speak.

Thinking it might be an issue with SipBroker not liking dyndns, I changed my address to [my FWD number]@mydomain.no-ip.biz. But no improvement: the phone rings but no audio either way.

If it is an issue with SipBroker not liking Dyndns, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the fact that my phone rings indicates that SipBroker is able to successfully find me.

Thinking it might be an issue of not having the right ports open, I put the Sipura device in the DMZ, but no improvement was observed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:15 AM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
To answer the first question, I chose my FWD number as my sipbroker alias. This is so that the FWD line in my SPA1001 will function as both my FWD line and the handler of any incoming direct-dial calls.

I did as you suggested, and changed my SipBroker user ID to [my FWD number]@fwd.pulver.com. It worked. I was able to get two way audio by entering *0111[my SipBroker alias]#. But my goal in setting up a SipBroker account was to bypass FWD altogether. FWD is fairly stable but sometimes there are outages with the proxy servers. So I want a method to connect directly to my system without having to go through FWD, to cut out the middleman so to speak.

Thinking it might be an issue with SipBroker not liking dyndns, I changed my address to [my FWD number]@mydomain.no-ip.biz. But no improvement: the phone rings but no audio either way.

If it is an issue with SipBroker not liking Dyndns, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the fact that my phone rings indicates that SipBroker is able to successfully find me.

Thinking it might be an issue of not having the right ports open, I put the Sipura device in the DMZ, but no improvement was observed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ok, so you have [my FWD number]@mydomain.no-ip.biz registered with SipBroker and an alias assigned to it..

Some things to try:
-Ensure that Receive Calls with No Registration (or something along those lines) in the SPA is set to yes
-I would turn off DMZ
-If the router has UPnP activate that
-Also hopefully you can find Port Forwarding (or Port Range Forwarding) in your router (it lets you tell the router that activity in certain ports is to be handled by your SPA by specifying the SPA's internal subnet IP as the destination)
-Try forwarding the following ports to your SPA:
5050-5064
5000-5005
16300-16500 (This is a bit hardware/software specific, it may change from one to the next, check within your device it should have a specification of which RTP ports it uses, these are usually the ports responsible of handling audio during a call)

If all that fails, I'd suggest getting a free VoXalot account, and have your FWD permanently forwarded to your VoXalot acct.... (VoXalot uptime is pretty good)

For later on thinking: Once you have yourself set up with a reliable incoming SIP URI whether user@fwd.pulver.com or user@mydomain.no-ip.biz or user@voxalot.com, you could set up ENum, so people can reach you at YourRegularPSTNNumber@sipbroker.com or call a SipBroker Access Number, then enter your number in Intl format when prompted and they'll ring your ATA... (see e164.org)
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
emoci

Quote:

I just paid a bit more attention to this part, you are calling the SipBroker Access Number from a regular Phone, not a VoIP line, correct?
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
rickbpdq

Quote:
Ok, so you have [my FWD number]@mydomain.no-ip.biz registered with SipBroker and an alias assigned to it..

Some things to try:
-Ensure that Receive Calls with No Registration (or something along those lines) in the SPA is set to yes
-I would turn off DMZ
-If the router has UPnP activate that
-Also hopefully you can find Port Forwarding (or Port Range Forwarding) in your router (it lets you tell the router that activity in certain ports is to be handled by your SPA by specifying the SPA's internal subnet IP as the destination)
-Try forwarding the following ports to your SPA:
5050-5064
5000-5005
16300-16500 (This is a bit hardware/software specific, it may change from one to the next, check within your device it should have a specification of which RTP ports it uses, these are usually the ports responsible of handling audio during a call)

If all that fails, I'd suggest getting a free VoXalot account, and have your FWD permanently forwarded to your VoXalot acct.... (VoXalot uptime is pretty good)

For later on thinking: Once you have yourself set up with a reliable incoming SIP URI whether user@fwd.pulver.com or user@mydomain.no-ip.biz or user@voxalot.com, you could set up ENum, so people can reach you at YourRegularPSTNNumber@sipbroker.com or call a SipBroker Access Number, then enter your number in Intl format when prompted and they'll ring your ATA... (see e164.org)
Yes, I have the option selected to receive calls without registration.

I forwarded the port ranges you suggested to the Sipura device, but no improvement. Since the original post, I upgraded to a Netgear FVS338 router, which does not support UPnP, I suspect for security reasons.

I agree that leaving the Sipura device in the DMZ is not the correct decision from a security standpoint. But from a troubleshooting standpoint, the fact that the device was in the DMZ should have eliminated closed ports as a possible cause of my problem.

I will look into a Voxalot account and report back with my results.

One new piece of information: I logged into my IPKall account, and changed my sip proxy to mydomain.dyndns.biz. I experienced identical results as with Sipbroker: the phone rings, but no audio in either direction.

Thanks for helping me with my problem.
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
rickbpdq

Quote:
I just paid a bit more attention to this part, you are calling the SipBroker Access Number from a regular Phone, not a VoIP line, correct?
I'm making my test calls from a cell phone, and I have identical results when I dial from my Vonage line.