Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
nicois

nicois is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Use mp3 instead of wav for voicemail messages?

Dear Voxalot,

Have you considered sending new voicemails as email attachments in MP3 format instead of WAV format?

I would say that pretty much any device that can play WAV files can also handle MP3s - and there are plenty which can ONLY handle MP3s.

Of course, apart from being more compatible, the MP3s would also let you you the bitrate more efficiently - either to make even smaller emails, or to increase the quality of the message that people receive.

What do others think? Would you prefer MP3 voicemails?

And Voxalot people, does my idea have any merit? I don't imagine it would be a hard feature to implement, but maybe there's something I haven't thought of. I only suggest this to help improve this already great service.

N
nicois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

I like the idea. The messages could be tagged with a timestamp and caller id if available too. I don't know how possible it is though.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

MP3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There might be Licensing and Patent violation issues with doing that.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

One day someone will own the patent on turning on a computer.... need less to say, I don't like the sound of patents that stifle reasonable use of a technology; particularly where such a substantial public use exists as is the case for MP3 files today.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

It's okay, Voxalot WAV's already are compressed by the GSM 6.10 codec. They are already quite small, and compatible with most operating system's standard media players. Even if we like the MP3 format because it is so widely supported, I think the licencing issues is a big factor to consider. Within a few years the patent will expire though.
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
nicois

nicois is on a distinguished road

It's a shame about the licensing of the MP3 format. I'd love to suggest using OGG or another open format, but the number of people who can play it back is still pretty small. It sounds like we're stick with WAV for the next few years.

Perhaps I can set up an email mangler that will convert WAV files to MP3. Otherwise I may as well turn off voicemail - my LG phone can't handle WAV files. :-(
nicois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Lanh

Lanh is on a distinguished road

If my SE k750I could support ogg files then I would move over completely to that format.
Lanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
TBhimdi

TBhimdi is on a distinguished road

I'd prefer to stick with WAV/GSM format, but what I would like to see is the file name change from anything.wav to anything.amr. I would like to send the voicemail to my cellphone via an MMS, but there are certain restrictions on the types of files that can be attached to an MMS message. MP3/WAV can't go through, but AMR files can. Since the WAV file is an AMR file in this case, it just requires a rename, that would help out with voicemail on the road without dialing in to check.
TBhimdi is offline   Reply With Quote