Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 06-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
heartspeace

heartspeace is on a distinguished road
Angry Serious security bug in Voxalot. Broadvoice in and outbound calling

I paid for a premium account under the impression that this service could support broadvoice. I can't figure out how to make it work though - can a voxalot technical person help out?

Michael

P.S. Outbound calls work - its just inbound that won't. I get a strange message when I try inbound - it says the person at extension xxxyyy is not available where xxx is the area code for my phone number and yyy is the prefix for my phone number. It is very very strange. HELP!

EDIT: I have confirmed this - apparently incoming calls are forwarded to Voxalot properly - but voxalot is taking the area code and prefix (first six digits) and sending them to a voxalot account with the same six digits. Obviously this is a serious bug and security risk as your calls are going to other people that they should not.

Can someone from Voxalot please respond and fix this ASAP?

Last edited by heartspeace; 06-25-2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Change topic heading
heartspeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Global Provider Index - BroadVoice

Is Broadvice set up to register in you Voxalot account?
Have not used it personally, perhaps somebody who is using it can comment on incoming calls with Voxalot.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
heartspeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurun View Post

Have not used it personally, perhaps somebody who is using it can comment on incoming calls with Voxalot.
Help me understand - I paid for a voxalot account - do they basically offer no help?
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
heartspeace

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurun View Post

Yes Broadvoice is set to register - but when you call it - it gives the strange error message - almost like it is trying to access a voxalot account.

Actually I just confirmed it. So broadvoice is registered and sending the calls to Voxalot - but voxalot is sending the call to the areacode+prefix (first six digits) of a voxalot account.

it sounds like a serious bug in Voxalot - now where the heck are the voxalot people that I pay?

Michael
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Unfortunately you are not the only one having an issue with BroadVoice... It appears to work fine for outgoing, but not incoming

There is a few select providers that send their registration to
UsernameWithProvider@serverIP

What this means is that Broadvoice is registering at BroadVoiceNumber@us.voxalot.com, instead of VoXalotNumber@us.voxalot.com

Unfortunately, VoXalot cannot proccess calls to BroadVoiceNumber@us.voxalot.com as it is expecting VoXalotNumber@us.voxalot.com

As a possible alternative, you may be able to use PBXes.com to register and route calls for BroadVoice to VoXalot (since their routing option can be specified by Trunk or Username)
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
heartspeace

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Unfortunately you are not the only one having an issue with BroadVoice... It appears to work fine for outgoing, but not incoming

There is a few select providers that send their registration to
UsernameWithProvider@serverIP

What this means is that Broadvoice is registering at BroadVoiceNumber@us.voxalot.com, instead of VoXalotNumber@us.voxalot.com

Unfortunately, VoXalot cannot proccess calls to BroadVoiceNumber@us.voxalot.com as it is expecting VoXalotNumber@us.voxalot.com

As a possible alternative, you may be able to use PBXes.com to register and route calls for BroadVoice to VoXalot (since their routing option can be specified by Trunk or Username)
See - here is my problem. Broadvoice is sending the calls properly to Voxalot. I have confirmed that voxalot message system is the one which is answering - but the voxalot system logic is sending it to the wrong account. It is a serious bug. The system logic is sending it to the first six digits of the incoming number - voxalot is not translating this to its number. There should be a translation that says if number xxxyyyzzzz comes into voxalot then it gets mapped and forwarded to the voxalot account number. (There are many ways to do this) - but instead the bug in voxalot is simply sending it to the first six digits of the number - someone elses account on voxalot.

What the hell???

I understand what you say - but surely they can simply solve this. It is maybe a day or two of programming and a few days of testing. Hell the logic is probably already in their system. I hate laziness - even if the fault is actually broadvoice - there should be help for customers who pay for services here. I say this because apparently problems have been here for years now that I read more. What the heck do the owners of the system do here if they don't respond to problems and fix users issues?

I have a work around - but unless I register the broadvoice line here, I can't place outbound calls. If I turn off register that is, outbound doesn't work. I can't not therefore turn of registering. If voxalot would then deny simply incoming calls from broadvoice since they can't figure out in many years how to fix the problem, then I could simply have broadvoice dial a ipkall number to get to here. Again - I can't understand how people can't just fix a simple problem, and yes I know the internals of all this - its not that hard.

Last edited by heartspeace; 06-25-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

You should not need to SIP Register, to make outgoing calls.... (unless BroadVoice demands this)
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #8
heartspeace

Quote:
You should not need to SIP Register, to make outgoing calls.... (unless BroadVoice demands this)
All I can say is when I don't register - it doesn't allow me to make outbound calls from my ata at home connected to voxalot to broadvoice. When I register - it works fine. Incoming is dead either way.

still I think they should just fix the security bug in voxalot... or put a work around for broadvoice - it really is a days work at best.
Unread 06-25-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
emoci

As you may have come to realize this is more of BroadVoice issue than anything else.

As per MySIPSwitch Community Forums :: View topic - Does MSS work with Broadvoice? it seems that this is an issue that goes beyond simply VoXalot....

My suggestion:
-Erase all instances of Broadvoice in VoXalot and MySipSwitch
-Set it and register it at PBXes (forwarding calls to VoXalot)
-Set up PBXes as an outgoing-only provider in VoXalot, allowing you to make calls via BroadVoice in return
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
heartspeace

Exclamation

Quote:
As you may have come to realize this is more of BroadVoice issue than anything else.

As per MySIPSwitch Community Forums :: View topic - Does MSS work with Broadvoice? it seems that this is an issue that goes beyond simply VoXalot....

My suggestion:
-Erase all instances of Broadvoice in VoXalot and MySipSwitch
-Set it and register it at PBXes (forwarding calls to VoXalot)
-Set up PBXes as an outgoing-only provider in VoXalot, allowing you to make calls via BroadVoice in return
Actually I don't think this is a broadvoice thing... I think this is a thing where the software used by a couple companies don't work - where more mainstream software such as Asterisk (which is what pbxes.com is based off of) does. It proves that it can be done without changes to broadvoice, and furthermore after years of people on voxalot asking for it, it shows a blantent disregard for their users needs.

If an ATA can connect to broadvoice and have the service work and use it as a gateway, such as a Sipura or Grandstream device, then surely a PBX type system should be able to handle it.

In fact - it seems to handle it here, except for the last moment, where it sends off the phonecall to a different account. To me and most people who know programming and SIP, this is a simply bug that can be fixed - or even a workaround that can be created. It is certainly not rocketscience when programs like Asterisk, FreePBX, etc. can handle Broadvoice without blinking. As for mysipswitch, it is an experimental service, and one expects bugs and problems as one doesn't pay for it. This is radically different.

Michael