Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 02-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Mew

Mew is on a distinguished road
Default My SIP URI

Hi,

I would like to know what my SIP URI is if I've chosen the new europen server : 123456@voxalot.com or 123456@eu.voxalot.com ?

Thanks

Mew

Last edited by Mew; 02-12-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Mew

Nobody who can help me ?
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Hello,

Either will work. However the most direct URI is:

sip:123456@eu.voxalot.com

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Mew

Oh ok !

The shorter is @voxalot.com, it's easier to remember.

But what do you mean by the most direct ? Does it take less time when someone wants to call me ?
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
Oh ok !

But what do you mean by the most direct ? Does it take less time when someone wants to call me ?
We are talking milliseconds nothing you or your callers will notice.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Mew

OK, I see. Thank you very much for your help !!
Unread 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
pelikano

pelikano is on a distinguished road

couldn't you just try...
pelikano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Good enough reason there.

Quote:
Think of where the call has to go when someone calls in. In this example, assume you are number 12345678 and you are registered via eu.voxalot.com. Now let's examine some call paths, and see how the "call setup" (ringing your adapter) is done:

12345678@eu.voxalot.com
Their adapter => eu.voxalot.com => Your adapter
{This one is the "shortest" as both you and they are using the eu.voxalot.com computer server.}

12345678@voxalot.com
Their adapter => voxalot.com => eu.voxalot.com => Your adapter
{In this example, they are using voxalot.com and you are using eu.voxalot.com. So the voxalot.com server has to tell the eu.voxalot.com server that a call just came in. Hence, one more computer server is involved in the call setup. It will still work (to the end users) the same way, but another computer is involved in setting up the call.}

*01012345678@sipbroker.com
Their adapter => sipbroker.com => voxalot.com => eu.voxalot.com => Your adapter
{In this case, the person calling is using http://sipbroker.com , and therefore the sipbroker.com server has to pass the call off to voxalot.com, which then has to find the server you are connected to (in this case eu.voxalot.com), which finally has to pass the call off to your adapter. But here again, all the "magic" is done by the servers, and the call should still connect to you (in most cases with less than a second delay over the most "direct" path).}

As you see, while all those URIs should succeed in making the call, some of them are more "direct" (have less computers in the middle) than others do for the initial "call setup". Does this make much of a difference? IMHO not normally, as the extra "call setup" really results in (as Martin already mentioned) just a fraction of a second delay before the "ringing" occurs. And once the call is setup/answered, the servers all try (as much as possible) to get out of the way of the voice traffic, and let that voice traffic go directly between the two adapters when that is possible (so these extra "call setup" servers don't even result in more echo/delay in the voice, as they get out of the way once the call is in progress)!

About the only time it does matter, is if one of those computers/servers was down for any reason. For example, if eu.voxalot.com (which your adapter is registered to, in this example) is up, but voxalot.com was down for some reason (an unlikely situation, but it is possible), than the 12345678@eu.voxalot.com addresses would work (because both you and the calling party are on the same computer "server"), but the 12345678@voxalot.com address would fail in that case (because we are assuming in this example that voxalot.com is down for some reason). But as long as all the "servers" between you and the calling party are up, there is no reason the call shouldn't reach you.

So go ahead and use the "shorter address" if you like, as things will continue to work, and (except when a server is down for some reason) should only result in a small fraction of a second additional delay (over the "direct" path), while the computers/servers contact each other to complete the call...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote