Thread: Encryption
View Single Post
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
occamsrazor

occamsrazor is on a distinguished road

True, integrating ZRTP directly into the Voxalot service could open up interesting opportunities. But normally doesn't the voice rtp traffic go direct to the SIP provider or VOIP endpoint? To use ZRTP would require voxalot to act as a kind of secured proxy for the rtp traffic right (unless the SIP provider or other endpoint supported ZRTP also)?

It would still be good mind you.... For VOIP users in not-so-democratic countries, the main worry is eavesdropping within their country's internet infrastructure, so as long as it is encrypted within the domestic infrastructure it's relatively secure for them, even if it becomes unencrypted elsewhere.

Coincidentally I just saw this on your news pages, about Counterpath embedding ZRTP in their softphones, which is pretty good news as their X-Lite & Eyebeam software is one of the more widely used softphones. Now if Linksys will just add ZRTP to my SPA-3102..... :-)

CounterPath Teams with PGP Founder Phil Zimmermann to Increase VoIP Softphone Security with Integration of Zfone's ZRTP Protocol @ SYS-CON Media

Cheers, Ben

PS - Zimmerman is a genius, I've so much respect for the guy.

Last edited by occamsrazor; 04-05-2007 at 12:08 AM.
occamsrazor is offline   Reply With Quote