Thread: Dial Plans
View Single Post
Unread 06-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #6
rec9140

rec9140 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblandford View Post
Agreed, that does make a lot of sense. It is much more intuitive to just dial a country code then an area code. I have found that most VoIP suppliers will accept the number without 00 anyway.

The 0 was traditionally used to distinguish local numbers starting with digits 1-9 from national numbers and then 00 to distinguish international numbers without having to wait and see how many digits were dialled.

Removing the 00 would help with using these phone numbers with computer programs like Excel which will get rid of the 00 unless you format the cell correctly.
Some perspective ... in the US, at least in my area Pittbsurgh, Pennsylvania in the NPA 412 till splits with NPA's etc... You could pick up the phone...

Dial NPA-NXX-yyyy and the call went thru didn't matter if it was 800-123-4567, 202-555-1212, etc... same goes for pick up the phone dial NXX-yyyy and the call went thru... None of this blathering about the "You must first dial a 1....."

When I moved/and commuted back and forth from/to West Virginia, the entire state is ONE area code 304, and thus all this 1-NXX-yyyy and some times even 1-304-nxx-yyyy. RUBBISH!

FLorida has this same crap...Same NPA and the witch comes on and "You must first dial a 1....."

Getting to the chase... the whole point of this crap is get the clueless dolts to understand that its a LD call... and some die hard telco guys and I got into it hot over this BS. Its not really relevant to me wether the call is LD or not, about issue with switching etc... Well if Bell of PA in the 80's and 90's before all the new NPA's could figure out how to route it then the rest of the switches in my opinion were FUBAR'D! Like I said I don't wont dwell on this too much as I could rant on this subject alone for quite a while. Suffice it to say its a REALLY SORE POINT with me.

Your post also shed some light on why UK numbers all that 0 at the front...

I guess the whole deal of wasted digits just irks me to death, and your Excel example is a good example of an issue as well. Maybe I just think the same as Excel (scary) and feel that 0 is a waste.

Getting back to the real topic on this, I guess the only real way to set this up is to do a rule for every country code ? ? ? Hmmm.... that seems like a lot of rules I guess I was looking for a way to resolve this with a handful versus a whole slew of them. Maybe when I go full blown */Trixbox....
rec9140 is offline   Reply With Quote