Thread: Free Phone
View Single Post
Unread 09-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Typically, the receiving party's equipment will also examine the caller-ID number and will answer the call ONLY if the number is from an area code from which they wish to pay to receive calls. The result is that when calling some toll-free destinations through some providers, you will hear the phone ring but your call will not be answered. If this happens try placing the call through a different provider, or try changing your outbound caller-ID number to show a different NANPA area code.
It doesn't prevent calls from outside the country though, while other countries may do so. When I call USA from the UK, there is an announcement that the call is not toll-free from outside the United States, but it still rings
_

Betamax brands seem to vary. Justvoip was free earlier this year for calls to USA and UK freephone numbers, even the UK one when I had no freedays; it might be worth trying with no credit. On the other hand, I've read comments that other brands are a cent a minute even with freedays, and I think Voipcheap charged me
andy is offline   Reply With Quote