View Single Post
Unread 07-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
snowleopard

snowleopard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebie View Post
I tested iiNet VoIP from my parents' OptusNet Cable Internet connection and it was able to register and make outbound calls without a problem. I didn't test it to the extent of answering the call, but the recipient phone was ringing, which is further than what I can get with voxalot.

iiNet VoIP with voxalot: inbound works^, outbound fails. So, what could the possibilities be as to the cause?

* iiNet blocking/disallowing the particular method that voxalot performs?
* iiNet rejecting requests based on the User-Agent field used by voxalot?

^basic test consisted of dialling DID and VoIP phone ringing. I've not tested beyond this.
AFAIK iiNet require the use of an 'Outbound (OB) Proxy'. Their reasoning behind this is that it makes billing easier, as all connections to their VoIP system (outbound) come from their own proxy, and they can authenticate their own users easier. This practice is generally frowned upon by other VoIP providers (Engin, PennyTel) as it is not necessary if the VoIP infrastructure is configured correctly, and causes issues (as seen by this thread) on any hardware/software that uses multiple registrations.
It is possible to use iiNet VoIP from another provider's connection (assuming you have an ATA/IPPhone/Softphone that can set the proxy), albeit without QoS. However, VoxaLot do not (currently) support the use of an OB Proxy on registrations. I am hoping that might change now that they charge for their accounts, and it might be a feature that they introduce for the higher plans.

In regards to inbound working, there are two distinct methods of inbound calls to a SIP device - VoIP calls that use the PSTN, and 'True VoIP' calls that are IP-to-IP. Using voxalot, it is possible to call a registered device directly (as documented elsewhere) using membernumber@au.voxalot.com - and this is possible with most other VoIP providers as well: membernumber@sip.pennytel.com for example. This functionality is disabled by iiNet (phonenumber@iinetphone.iinet.net.au doesn't work) for some reason they have refused to explain.

Hope this serves to answer your queries.
snowleopard is offline   Reply With Quote