View Single Post
Unread 07-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #29
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFug View Post
Thanks, emoci, i hope also the OP has some usefulness out of this, pointing him also in a good direction.

Using the WRT54GL will mean for me i still have no modem, which is included in the WAG160N, or the old SMC device,
I guess i should use the the WAG160N as modem only, and use DHCP, and the router functions of the WRT54GL.
Oh, I see ADSL2 modem as well...if you are gonna run the WAG160N as a modem, I suggest making sure it is in Bridge Mode, and let your router actually do the login (although this depends on how your system completes the handshake, is it PPPOE, PPPOA or a dedicated line etc.)

Look, frankly I'd suggest using what works for you.... if the SMC you have on right now does not produce any other issues then just leave it in (As they say, Don't Fix what's not broken )

If your only worry for the changes is security, a good personal firewall, and a reliable AntiVirus Software should be just fine ....
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote