View Single Post
Unread 07-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbunny View Post
We currently list 3 providers in the US making money terminating internet to PSTN toll free calls. Unfortunately due to the way the North American phone system works you can't tell if you can dial a +1 toll free number via these providers without actually dialling it and seeing what error codes you get back.

I don't know of any providers offering this for Canadian toll free numbers so I can't redirect the calls even if we do know which numbers are for which country.

In any case I think there is a partial solution to this long vexing problem. I've extended the Non-Geographical Numbering system of e164.org to accept +18(00|66|77|88) XXXXXXX non-geographical numbers which can be pointed via a TEL: URI to a geographical number, or an alternative non-geographical number, or a 'novoip' record which is just a place holder to override the wild card record.
Canada uses the same 1-800/866/877/888 numbering that the US uses...

From my experience most Canadian Toll Free numbers are reachable from the US anyways so the current providers tend to deliver calls without issues...

One thing I've noticed is that for smaller operations, they tend to limit who can reach their 1-800 numbers based on Area Code, which may result in being unable to reach some 1-800 numbers when going through e164.org or SipBroker once in a while
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote