View Single Post
Unread 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
AlexErko

AlexErko is on a distinguished road
Default Nokia E70 - VoXaLot Tips

Further to the sticky http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...s-support.html about how to set up E Series Nokia phones for use with VoXaLot, here are a couple of specific tips for using an E70, or some E70s at least, with VoXaLot:

1. There is a recognised issue of VoIP unreliability with the earliest firmware version/s on the E70 and some other E series phones.

2. I could not make or receive VoIP calls using my E70's pre-installed firmware (Version 1.0610.05.07), even though I followed the updated instructions in the sticky mentioned above. Some Googling about this issue led me to information that convinced me that if I could update my E70's firmware that things might improve.

3. Depending on the (sub) model of E70 that you use, you may not be able to update the firmware online using the Nokia Software Updater software; I couldn't. (I bought my, heavily discounted, but new, E70 in Australia from a branch of a bricks and mortar chain, Dick Smith, last week. They don't have many E70 phones left, if you are interested in purchasing one, and the Nokia agent in Australia is not importing any more even though the E70 is still a current model in production; don't ask me why the agent has made that decision, as I don't know the answer.)

4. I took my E70 to a Nokia service centre today and they updated the firmware to Version 2.0618.07.10.

5. Now I can reliably make and recieve VoIP calls on my E70.

(Note: I use a relatively cheap (AU$10 for 300MB per month) 3G data package from Virgin Mobile Australia, for VoIP and other some online use on my E70. I don't intend to usually make VoIP calls from the E70 as I use the regular Virgin Mobile minimum monthly cap for that, but when my wife is at home she will be calling me using VoIP while I am out and about, as we have an ATA at home. I have set up one VoXaLot account on the E70 and another one on the ATA, and VoXaLot to VoXaLot calls are free, apart from the data usage of course. My wife has successfully made a number of such test calls to me this evening.)

Last edited by AlexErko; 06-18-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Syntax.
AlexErko is offline   Reply With Quote