View Single Post
Unread 07-15-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hust View Post
I think the caller should dial 647-333-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the same city , so dialling does not need domestic long distance call prefix "1" although this call is between different area codes. this call is a local call and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?
Correct, if caller dials 1-xxx.... they get a message "This is not a long distance call ...."

Quote:
I think the caller should dial 1-647-333-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the different cities ,so dialling needs domestic long distance call prefix "1" , but this call is also a local call(I know it from Bell Canada website) and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?
This is where it can get very confusing. Prefix "1" is only required if it is a charged call. So from Newmarket to Toronto (Mobile or Landline), it is no charge and you cannot dial the prefix 1. However from Vaughan (905 area) which is North of Toronto and South of Newmarket and slightly West is a charged call although closer to Newmarket than Toronto.

Quote:
I think the caller should dial 1-905-210-XXXX, because this call origination and termination are in the different cities,so dialling needs domestic long distance call prefix "1" although this call is in the same area code, but this call is also a local call(I know it from Bell Canada website) and free(exclude mobile phone). Is it correct?

remark: 905-210- exchange is the only one exchange belong to Toronto from 905 area code.
If it is a no charge call, than "1" is not used. The "1" indicates a charged call, unless calling a Toll Free number 1-800, 1-888, 1-866, 1-877.

I really do appreciate that this may sound quite confusing, but the system alerts you if you need to dial the "1".
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote