View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezad View Post
The solution i wanted are for the linksys adapters, and its like that i cant always go home to every person in my family to update the server address when eu.voxalot.com is down and then change it for example to us og au.voxalot.com, and when its back online i have to take another round to the family to do the changings. Many of my family is on my parents age and telling then how to do is not easy
Then given your hardware limits, I think the "manual backup" approach (where you have to dial the call differently when you want to use the "backup") is probably about the best you can hope for.

This would still require you to modify the adapters' "dial plan" ONCE (as well as turn on the adapter's "Make Call Without Registration" setting), and also teach your family the "alternate way of dialing". But once you do that, then (in theory) they can just try switching to the alternate way of dialing if/when things don't work "the normal way".

For example, the following dial plan pieces added to your dial plan (assuming you don't already use the #-key tricks in your existing dial plan), should give the adapter the option to manually force the call out via: SIP Broker (dialed as: #0 number #), the US VoXaLot server (#1 number #), the EU VoXaLot server (#2 number #) or the au VoXaLot server (#3 number #). And for "normal" dialing, they would just dial as they always have (and your other dial plan pieces will deal with routing the call as you always have).
Code:
<#0:>[x*].<:@sipbroker.com> | <#1:>[x*].<:@us.voxalot.com> | <#2:>[x*].<:@eu.voxalot.com> | <#1:>[x*].<:@au.voxalot.com> |
Of course, even with this "backup", you still have to teach your family how to try the "backup dialing" options (including both the leading and trailing #-keys) when your primary is down for any reason. And you will also need to make a one time change (adding the above code to the dial plan, and also turning on the "Make Call Without Registration" line option), to enable this. But at least this gives you a partial "manual backup" option, that can be asked for at any time from the phone (simply by changing how you dial that call), for when the primary service is down for any reason. So while this isn't a complete "backup solution", it's still "better than nothing". And this approach does have the advantage of working on virtually all LinkSys model ATAs...

NOTE: The reason why redirecting to an alternate voxalot proxy will work even on a PAP2, is that you would use the same (voxalot account) userID and password for each of the three proxies. And since even the PAP2 can override the proxy in the dial plan (even though it generally takes a SPA-3102 to also override the userID and password), you can use the redirection trick for going to an alternate voxalot proxy (the alternate proxy would pick up your main userID/password you registered with). And this also works with sipbroker.com (#0 number #), because sipbroker doesn't care what your userID/password are, and therefore sipbroker.com is happy to accept your voxalot userID and password.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote