View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Dodgy

Dodgy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Well to put this in context, when Shaw took out its VoIP packages many users found they could no longer use third party services (like Vonage) due to excessive line noise.....Shaw's solution was "we can fix it switch to us"

I have a terrible feeling this $10 is not QoS in its proper sense, but rather a fee for using third party VoIP providers with your shaw connection, so if you pay $10 they won't (or at least won't try to) scramble and block all VoIP traffic...

All that said, this is just what I've heard coupled with my opinion, no hard facts to back this up since Rogers (rather than Shaw) has covered my area for the longest time....(and have been using TekSavvy as an ISP for the last little while with very good results)

Any Shaw users that can comment on their current VoIP experience???
Actually Shaw does not use a VOIP service for their proprietary phone system, it is distinguished as a packetcable service that runs across it's own dedicated network. Yes it uses the same cable as the internet and TV but being on a seperate frequency it does not interfer with or impede internet traffic which standard vanilla VOIP uses.

As we all know std vanilla VOIP shares the same traffic/bandwidth as internet traffic so is subject to the same issues as other internet traffic passing through the network(s) such as routing issues, latency and primetime congestion. What the QOS feature from Shaw tries to do is alleviate those issues that can appear on their network. Now I do not know the details behind their QOS, but from what I have heard is that in some cases it has helped immensely and others where it hasn't helped at all.
Dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote