Thread: Betamax FUP
View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
satphoneguy

satphoneguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataboy View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with that comment, emoci.

That's very true. Betamax is a nice-to-have and the speech quality is good but its business model is such that you take your chances on any consistency of operation.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want the convenience of using functions such as the callthrough to Voxalot over the PSTN using PBXes (that you mentioned in a previous post) I should be prepared to route the final leg of the setup through a provider that I can rely on. And if that means spending a penny or so a minute, so be it.

Having said that, much of the fun of being a VoIP tinkerer is discovering these tricks and tweaks and having such support and guidance from people such as yourself and Voxalot. On the way we learn what works and what doesn't - and what is worth paying for (and what isn't!)

ataboy
as i have talkedo different betamax users i seem to have come to the conclusion that you dramatically decrease your chance of running into FUP problems(at least with voxalot or direct with your ATA) if you only use one account. they clearly state in the voipbuster forums in several places that multiple account with a single brand is against the FUP and will get you permanently barred from using any service in the future and will forfeit without refund any credit you have on any betamax accounts. but even users of multiple accounts with different brands seem to have more problems than those that just use one account. destination also seem to be an issue. if you call higher cost destination(even paid destination that may be subsidised) such as Pakistan, India or Russia it seems to increase your chance of running into FUP issues and blocked accounts.

at this point i have heard about enough issues that i have simply chosen to use other option in place of betamax. there are lots of SIP termination services out there with great rates and call quality to choose from. and for any of the more expensive destinations that i call(mostly euro cell phones) i get far better rates(and excellent voice quality) using scratch of calling cards than with any SIP based service including the least expensive from betamax or anyone else.

spg
satphoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote