View Single Post
Unread 07-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
konman

konman is on a distinguished road
Default Fring Nokia e65

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
I have already done a forum search on "fring" which brings up very little information.

Any fring ( of whatever flavour ) users out there?
I used Fring (v3.02) on an Nokia e65 when I was traveling in France, Italy and Latvia (not Latveria) from Australia.

Most hotels that I stayed at had Wi-Fi in some form and Fring would connect without any hassles - I had configured Skype as well as a Voxalot SIP account in Fring.

I used the Nokia e65-> Wi-Fi -> Fring -> Voxalot -> Engin -> PSTN to Australia a number of times. The voice quality was less that a 'standard' SIP call, but it was certainly usable. People could hear me, I could hear them - that is all that I needed. I found that I had to turn up the volume on every call.

I had to configure in 2 places (I think) to get Fring/e65 to promt me which connection to use ever time and not to automatically connect to GPRS/3G data connection. Overseas this costs a heap.

Fring would connect and be usable at Wi-Fi points where the in-built SIP device in the Nokia would not. I could only register the inbiult Nokia SIP connection once. Even then, it dropped out after 10 mins. The inbuilt SIP in the Nokia should be considered beta - its just too unreliable.

Oh just another point for would-be travelers OS - I found that I could not use Fring in McDonalds Wi-FI (Wi-Fries) in France - although I did not really have time to test this in full.
konman is offline   Reply With Quote