View Single Post
Unread 04-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
now all I need to do is wrap my head around sipbroker and enum somehow I can map my pots did to a url. I am not sure what benefit or fuctionality is derived from this?
Registering with ENUM (e164.org) mostly benefits the people calling you (i.e. saves them the cost of a LD call, in many cases).

What it does, is make it easy for someone trying to call your telco/POTS number, to instead call your VoIP adapter "for free". i.e. you are publishing the fact that your free VoIP "SIP URI" (VoIP address) can be used, instead of your telco number, when someone wants to call you.

Perhaps this analogy might help. You can think of e16t4.org as a giant automated "phone book". But instead of the "phone book" being indexed by name, it is indexed by your telco number. And instead of the "phone book" returning the telco number, it returns the free way to call you via free VoIP. So all you are really doing with e164.org, is telling the world that if they want to call your VoIP adapter (for free), instead of paying to call your telco/POTS line, they are welcome to do so...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote