View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
jdstroy

jdstroy is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with Symmetric NAT

Dear Voxalot community,

I've finally decided to join Voxalot after hearing about the no-longer-free Free World Dialup. FWD had a complete and working setup for symmetric NAT, and I used that for a long time. But now that August is coming close to an end, it appears that I have to move on to another provider with symmetric NAT support (e.g. with RTP media proxies). So here I am.

Things are nice without a symmetric NAT. On a port-restricted cone NAT, things are fine. However, I can't always have a decent connection, and now that I'm back in college, the network connection is horrible (because the people who run the network are arse-holes). I'm stuck behind a symmetric NAT, and there's no way (for me) to do port forwarding.

I'm currently experiencing the ever common "Waiting for acknowledgment / Ack timeout" and a few half-legged (e.g. outbound only) calls, and occasionally, an altered/mismatched codec call (usually gsm inbound, and PCMU outbound); all of these, of course, are not functional. The inbound audio is often missing, but sometimes it works correctly when it decides to route the PCMU inbound stream correctly.

So, my new friends and neighbors at Voxalot, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to actually get decent call connections. The UA that I'm using is SJPhone 1.65.377a. These are the configuration settings that I'm using:

Outgoing calls:
Session initialization timeout: 0 sec

NAT mapping refresh:
Method: OPTIONS request
Timeout: 10 sec

Profile: Voxalot
Account: ISR
Password: ISR
(ISR = Inquired, Saved, Required)

Domain/Realm: voxalot.com
Use Outbound Proxy: Yes
Proxy URI: sip:us.voxalot.com
Proxy usage model: Strict outbound proxy

Use separate Outbound Proxy for NAT: Yes
Proxy URI: sip:us.voxalot.com
Proxy usage model: Strict outbound proxy

.... [snip -- most of these are irrelevant] ...

Use rport extensions: yes
Voicemail number: 500

.... [snip -- most of these are irrelevant] ...

Use discovered addresses in STUN: No

End.

Any suggestions that I could try to get SJPhone with Symmetric NAT working? I'd happily provide a log if that would assist in diagnosing the problem and solving the issue.

Thanks,

J

PS: If anyone knows of another SIP provider with symmetric NAT support, I'd definitely like to know, too. PM me as needed. I'm desperate to try anything at this point.
jdstroy is offline   Reply With Quote