Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Connections settings for Skype (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=1059)

667366 02-18-2007 01:59 AM

Connections settings for Skype

Hi guys, anyone know what settings I should be using for configuring Skype as one of my providers (port, host, etc)
Thanks a lot! :confused:

affinity 02-18-2007 02:37 AM

See here:
http://www.affinityvision.com.au/voi....html#service2
- this is a works in progress page, but it expains why Skype is not a good thing....

667366 02-25-2007 07:34 AM

Still need the settings for Skype

I realize and understand that many people might not want to use Skype for obvious and also apparente reasons, however, I do need the settings because even though I mightnot use Skype on my PC frequently, I do have a plan with Skype for unlimited calls to the US and Canada for the rest of this year, and so I want to be able to use that with my Voxalot account. Thank you for your help.

DracoFelis 02-25-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 667366 (Post 5948)
I do have a plan with Skype for unlimited calls to the US and Canada for the rest of this year, and so I want to be able to use that with my Voxalot account.

You can't do what you want with VoXaLot. This is because Skype uses a proprietary approach to VoIP, that is incompatible with most of the rest of the VoIP community, including VoXaLot.

Skype can be used on the same network (or even the same computer) as you use other VoIP (including VoXaLot) with, but you still have to use Skype hardware/software to access Skype. I know of no way to access Skype via VoXaLot, as the technologies aren't currently compatible (blame the Skype designers for this, as they deliberately chose to do things in a way incompatible with other VoIP). And worse yet, Skype won't even release the details of their protocol to the public, for others to write software compatible with Skype. As such, even if we had the time to write custom code (for VoXaLot) to support Skype, it wouldn't be an option anyway (as we don't have the needed technical details of the Skype protocol)...

ygeffens 02-25-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

I realize and understand that many people might not want to use Skype for obvious and also apparente reasons, however, I do need the settings because even though I mightnot use Skype on my PC frequently, I do have a plan with Skype for unlimited calls to the US and Canada for the rest of this year, and so I want to be able to use that with my Voxalot account. Thank you for your help.

Maybe this is something you can use?

http://www.nch.com.au/skypetosip/index.html

It needs a running PC however.

andy 02-25-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Apart from the previous replies, that it isn't possible to use Skype with any SIP-based systems, make sure you understand that unlimited plan.

It is for calls within the US and Canada. Your choice of wording, to, makes me wonder if you are calling there from elsewhere, and if so you will be disappointed as such calls are not included and will be charged if you are outside the US and Canada.

There are several complaints in the Skype forums from people who have fallen for this semantic ambiguity, eg a US serviceman calling home from Iraq; you'd have thought the services would have set up pseudo-US IP addresses there anyway.

If you are abroad, and depending how many calls you make, you might be interested in the Betamax companies, perhaps VoipbusterPro if you make two or three long calls home per week

Apologies if I've read too much into a couple of words and this waffle is irrelevant.

667366 02-25-2007 11:55 PM

I'm actually in the US

Thank you guys for all the advice. I do use voipbuster and voipdiscount for my international calls, but wanted to use Skype for my US/Canada calls, yes, I know thy're free with voipbuster/discount, but I figure hey, what the hell you know?

Once again, thanks for your responses.

jmartina 02-27-2007 10:34 AM

Interesting thing

On of my providers use a sip to skype gateway, and with it I am able to call any skype user I want, but not recieve calls from skype.

Well, doesn't matter, because I can not use it with vox a lot. For some reason voxalot does not forward my speed dials with skype related coamnds to this voip provider.

andy 02-27-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmartina (Post 6014)
On of my providers use a sip to skype gateway, and with it I am able to call any skype user I want, but not recieve calls from skype.

Does this provider rely on you running your Skype account with your PC on, or can it do this separately? If the latter, could you please tell me which company?

jmartina 03-01-2007 11:50 AM

It is not running my account, but theirs. It is output only. you can not recieve incomming call via skype. The provider is www.vono.net.br