Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (http://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (http://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Geographic lookup problem (http://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=3034)

addo62 05-02-2008 04:54 AM

Geographic lookup problem
 
I know there were some issues with this recently that evilbunny & Martin fixed but something is still not working?

I have called a few 13 numbers (132058 & 132265) yesterday & today, they are in the e164 system, & when I try the test dial plan option in Voxalot with my dial plan it correctly finds the alternative (local) number to call.
I go into my MyNetFone call records & the call registers to the 13 number & a .25c fee?

ozimarco could not see an issue with my dial plan, any ideas from anyone else?

ozimarco 05-02-2008 07:36 AM

Yes, something weird is going on here.

I've tested on my system and can confirm that, although 132058 translates correctly into the 02 number in the test box and Voxalot shows me via which VSP it will send the call, when the number is actually dialled, it is sent as a 13 number via the provider assigned to handle 13 number calls.

martin 05-04-2008 09:46 AM

Sorry for the delay guys. Seems the TEL: records (e164 Geo records) in the DNS no longer have a leading + which is why these calls were failing.

We have since patched the telephony engine and calls should now be working.

Please confirm if this is the case.

Thanks

ozimarco 05-04-2008 12:23 PM

Yup, it's working for me. :)

Thanks, Martin.

addo62 05-05-2008 01:40 PM

Yep working now for myself as well, thank-you:)

HCU 05-18-2008 10:20 AM

This same issue seems to be happening for me at the moment.
The TEL: records seem to contain the leading + again.

herman 05-23-2008 10:29 PM

I am also having similar symptoms with UK NG numbers. Test works OK but the dial plan rule ignores the NG lookup and tries to dial using the provider on the dial plan entry.

Triggery 06-01-2008 03:05 AM

I am having the same problem here. I have just set up the ngn lookup and can not get it to work. The Test Call shows the correct local number being returned and routed to the correct VSP. However when I check my call records it shows that the 6113xx number was used.

herman 06-05-2008 08:37 PM

ping Martin / Evilbunny
 
Any news on this, as it does still appear to be a problem...

evilbunny 06-06-2008 12:49 AM

I announced that we (e164.org) were intending to make changes to Martin a while back, but he never returned any of my calls or messages. However the + is no doubt messing VoXaLoT up as they probably weren't expecting it, but it should have always been there to be compliant with RFCs.

We have spent a bit of time of late trying to fix up our systems to make sure we comply 100% with RFCs in doing so we are making sure we didn't lack anything in records or overlook them in the past.

I'm sorry if this has cause inconvenience for anyone, but we're trying to do our part to follow relevant standards as close to 100% as we possibly can.

For future reference, if there is a better contact for this kind of thing at VoXaLoT than Martin please let us (support at e164) know so we can address all future correspondences to them instead.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.