Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nokia Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=427)

martin 06-21-2007 01:13 PM

Seems odd that the Nokia client drops the registration.

Is it possible that the hole that is punched through the firewall is closing after a few mins rather than the Nokia itself?

I have an E61 running the 3.0633.09.04 firmware without this problem so maybe the firewall is the first place to look.

AlexErko 06-21-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9655)
Seems odd that the Nokia client drops the registration.

Is it possible that the hole that is punched through the firewall is closing after a few mins rather than the Nokia itself?

I have an E61 running the 3.0633.09.04 firmware without this problem so maybe the firewall is the first place to look.

I don't have a firewall to punch through, as I connect to the net directly a with Virgin Mobile 3G data plan, not via a WLAN or a hotspot. Yet, within a few minutes of rebooting or altering the SIP settings on my E70, incoming VoIP calls (VoXaLot to VoXaLot) don't get through to my phone.

As I said in an earlier post, is it possible that the VoXaLot registration timing is not compatible with the Nokia SIP client?

AlexErko 06-21-2007 01:41 PM

Martin, if it would help you to do some research into this matter, would you like me to PM you with the two VoXaLot account numbers that I have been using? (That is the account that is registered on my home ATA and the account that is "registered" on my E70.)

nokuser 06-21-2007 09:30 PM

nokia e61 - inbound calls

I could be of help as well. Using nokia e61 as a modem (same ISP and settings) X-Lite softphone has no problems for incoming calls, but when I use nokia with built-in client - incoming calls stop after 2-3 subsequent successful inbound calls. I can provide logs, if you give the instructions.

martin 06-21-2007 10:25 PM

If you both PM me your 6 digit accounts, I will check the registry at random times throughout the day and see if there is anything that would explain this behavior.

As for registration timing, voxalot allows a min_expires of 600 seconds. Any value greater than or equal to 600 is OK.

grovum 06-22-2007 05:58 AM

automatic voxalot registration on e65?

Hi everybody, has anyone figured out whether it's possible to set the e65 to automatically register with voxalot when connected to wifi?

The manual says that it is possible to configure the handset to automatically register (login to net service) but my phone only has the 'manual registration' option... The manual also says that automatic login is only available if a service-specific software plug-in has been installed in the device, so I guess my real question is does anyone know if a plug-in is available?

thanks!

clundestad 06-22-2007 11:55 AM

I have no problems getting my brand new E65 (fw 1.0633.18.01) to register automatically. Are you not able to set Registration to "Always on" in SIP Settings for Voxalot?

grovum 06-22-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clundestad (Post 9680)
I have no problems getting my brand new E65 (fw 1.0633.18.01) to register automatically. Are you not able to set Registration to "Always on" in SIP Settings for Voxalot?

Yeah, that's fixed it (I had it set on 'when needed'):o Thanks a lot clundestad!!

peters 06-24-2007 03:56 PM

re: Nokia E65

Quote:

Originally Posted by clundestad (Post 9680)

hi, wondering if you can post how did you setup the setting for your nokia E65 and connect using WIFI. i have tried since the first day i got the phone by following Martin's instructions but no luck to connect, the phone always showing as "not connected/registeration failed", appreciate your help.

dracula 06-24-2007 11:03 PM

Hello,

MArtin, I just have read your post in the first page of this topic, and I would like to ask, if there is a difference if I have at the Public user name in Nokia E65 sip:xxxxxx@eu.voxalot.com .. or ..
sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com.

How is it correct?

Even if I am registered on eu.voxalot.com, my sip uri still remains sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com .... or?

Thank you !!!

martin 06-24-2007 11:56 PM

Hi,

The general rules to follow are:

1. Any proxy settings should us either us.voxalot.com, eu.voxalot.com or au.voxalot.com as this determines where your device will be registered.

2. Realm / Domain should be voxalot.com

If you follow these rules inbound callers can reach you by either sip:xxxxxx@us.voxalot.com, sip:xxxxxx@eu.voxalot.com, sip:xxxxxx@au.voxalot.com or sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com

Even if you are registered with eu.voxalot.com a SIP URI with eu.voxalot.com, au.voxalot.com, us.voxalot.com and voxalot.com will work.

The important point to note on the Nokia registration is that the Domain/Realm must be voxalot.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracula (Post 9728)
Hello,

MArtin, I just have read your post in the first page of this topic, and I would like to ask, if there is a difference if I have at the Public user name in Nokia E65 sip:xxxxxx@eu.voxalot.com .. or ..
sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com.

How is it correct?

Even if I am registered on eu.voxalot.com, my sip uri still remains sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com .... or?

Thank you !!!

clundestad 06-25-2007 12:02 PM

re: Nokia E65

Quote:

Originally Posted by peters (Post 9723)
hi, wondering if you can post how did you setup the setting for your nokia E65 and connect using WIFI. i have tried since the first day i got the phone by following Martin's instructions but no luck to connect, the phone always showing as "not connected/registeration failed", appreciate your help.

I just followed Martin's instructions and it works for me. You should double check that all the settings are correct, especially that the domain is set to voxalot.com.

Are you able to use other services through WiFi, e.g. web browsing? If so, there could be a firewall/NAT issue. I have seen on some discussion forums that some people have had problems with the Nokia VoIP client on some wireless routers, especially when using custom firmwares (e.g. dd-wrt or Sveasoft).

Maybe you could try connecting from a different WiFi network?

peters 06-25-2007 02:20 PM

I'm using Linksys WAG54G V.2 (Latest Firmware Version: 1.02.20), on the modem configuration, have tried to disable the Firewall Protection, Enable the DMZ Hosting to the Nokia's lan IP, and set the Port Range Forwarding 5060-5070 to Nokia's IP? just can't figure out why not connecting using the nokia default SIP.

I can connect to web using my wireless lan without problem, and using fring software, i can connect to voxalot make calls and receive calls without problem as well ....

i'm keen using the Nokia default sip as when use the fring, i can't use speaker phone feature. also, i wanted to setup two voip provider in one Nokia phone.

with what i have describe, do you reckon it's NAT issue, should i change the NAT voxalot member's page setting to "no"? at the moment i have a SPA in the same network connecting to voxalot without problem, the NAT setting in the voxalot member's page setting is "yes".

clundestad 06-25-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peters (Post 9734)
just can't figure out why not connecting using the nokia default SIP.

I can connect to web using my wireless lan without problem, and using fring software, i can connect to voxalot make calls and receive calls without problem as well ....

Here is a link to a similar discussion at Nokia's discussion forum:
E65 SIP connection problem

So it seems it's a common problem, and you might have to wait for a firmware upgrade from Nokia...

Did you try the Nokia on some other WLAN to see if it registers there?

What you can try is to disconnect the SPA just to make sure it isn't conflicting with your E65. Then try to set your firewall back to its default settings and restart the router. Then wait an hour or so before trying to register with the Nokia just to make sure that the SPAs registration has timed out. If it works then probably your SPA and your E65 conflicts with each other and you could maybe try using a different local port for the SPA (something other than 5060-5070).

I hope this can help you...

nokuser 06-26-2007 09:30 PM

nokia e61 - inbound calls

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9667)
If you both PM me your 6 digit accounts, I will check the registry at random times throughout the day and see if there is anything that would explain this behavior.

As for registration timing, voxalot allows a min_expires of 600 seconds. Any value greater than or equal to 600 is OK.

Martin, Have you managed to track down the problem?

martin 06-26-2007 10:10 PM

The problem is that the inbound INVITES are not getting a reply. I can only assume that for whatever reason the IP address/port that was used for registration is closing down after a certain amount of time.

As we are not getting any reply messages for the INVITE it makes it hard to determine the underlying cause.

nokuser 06-27-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9753)
The problem is that the inbound INVITES are not getting a reply. I can only assume that for whatever reason the IP address/port that was used for registration is closing down after a certain amount of time.

As we are not getting any reply messages for the INVITE it makes it hard to determine the underlying cause.

I think for security reasons ISP firewall is closing down the port that was used for registration after a certain amount of time. When I change in nokia e61 the connection "Always on" --> "When needed" --> "Always on", the port opens again for about 20-30 seconds and I can receive inbound calls. I have no problems with incoming calls using nokia e61 as a modem and X-lite on my PC with same ISP.

AlexErko 06-29-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9753)

As my Nokia phone is brand new and obviously still in warranty, I have emailed Nokia Support giving full details of this failure to receive incoming calls. I also gave a link to Martin's post above in the email.

Surely Nokia should be up to the task of ensuring that its software does the job its supposed to do. fring reliably permits me to receive VoIP calls, so lets see if Nokia can match a two dollar outfit like fring!

nokuser 07-02-2007 09:39 PM

nokia inbound calls - settings

According to nokia's source Voice over IP Service most of nokia's voip client critical settings can't be defined by user. For example, there is a setting "Allow VOIP over WCDMA", in other words this setting controls the availability of voip in nokia phones over 3G networks. The settings are sipmly defined by XML files, but they are encoded by nokia software which is available for voip providers etc., not general users. Is voxalot planning to define the settings and make them available in an installable file or in some other form, so that users can use voxalot for inbound calls with nokia phones over 3G?

AlexErko 07-03-2007 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokuser (Post 9873)
According to nokia's source Voice over IP Service most of nokia's voip client critical settings can't be defined by user. For example, there is a setting "Allow VOIP over WCDMA", in other words this setting controls the availability of voip in nokia phones over 3G networks. The settings are sipmly defined by XML files, but they are encoded by nokia software which is available for voip providers etc., not general users. Is voxalot planning to define the settings and make them available in an installable file or in some other form, so that users can use voxalot for inbound calls with nokia phones over 3G?

You have hit the nail on the head, nokuser - well done :)

We Nokia VoIP end-users have been thrashing about in vain trying to get the settings fine tuned on our phones for reliably receiving calls, while its the VoIP service providers who are the only ones who can do that.

Martin, please follow the link provided by nokuser and get the appropriately set XML files from Nokia for us to reliably receive incoming calls, then supply them to us.

martin 07-03-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexErko (Post 9877)
Martin, please follow the link provided by nokuser and get the appropriately set XML files from Nokia for us to reliably receive incoming calls, then supply them to us.

We looked at this a little while back and our understanding back then was that the XML needed to be provisioned OTA (ie via SMS) or by using a software plug-in installed on the phone.

Unless things have changed then providing you guys with the XML is only half the solution. I would be interested to know if this is still the case ?

AlexErko 07-03-2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9886)
We looked at this a little while back and our understanding back then was that the XML needed to be provisioned OTA (ie via SMS) or by using a software plug-in installed on the phone.

Unless things have changed then providing you guys with the XML is only half the solution. I would be interested to know if this is still the case ?

I am not sure what method Nokia recommends you use to provide us with the XML for VoIP settings. All I can say is that I have used two methods to place, non-VoIP*, coding onto my phone: SMS and via the Nokia PC Suite.

Have you asked Nokia how to provide us with the VoIP XML?

*Correction: fring provided its settings to me via SMS

AlexErko 07-05-2007 03:08 AM

I am aware that the folks at VoXaLot must be very busy, however I would really appreciate an update about receiving settings for reliably receiving calls on my Nokia phone when it is registered with VoXaLot.

If there is a time/cost impediment to resolving this issue, would someone from VoXaLot tell us how much a one-off fee might be for rapidly removing that impediment.

martin 07-05-2007 03:18 AM

Hi,

We plan to re-look at this soon. Unfortunately it is a question of time as we are all busy working towards the 16th July release.

It is a priority item for us and we will get to it soon.

We appreciate your patience.

AlexErko 07-05-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 10003)
Hi,

We plan to re-look at this soon. Unfortunately it is a question of time as we are all busy working towards the 16th July release.

It is a priority item for us and we will get to it soon.

We appreciate your patience.

Fair enough. Good luck with launching the new web site, etc!

AlexErko 07-10-2007 01:49 AM

As Martin is busy with other matters for the time being, I have asked Nokia service to send me some changes to the Nokia VoIP client to enable the CRLF keep-alive packets as described in Chapter 6, ‘NAT/FW traversal settings’, in Nokia S60 VoIP Implementation Configuration Tutorial [2] Resource information: Nokia S60 VoIP Implementation Configuration Tutorial v1.1 as that appears to be the solution to the problem of calls not getting through to me, as described in point 2.5.1 of the Nokia S60 VoIP Implementation Troubleshooting Guide http://sw.nokia.com/id/bcbcc0ac-6230...de_v1_0_en.pdf

I have also asked them to send me the changes required to disable all codecs except G.729, in order to save on bandwidth.

Lets see if Nokia can deliver ..........

martin 07-10-2007 01:12 PM

I had a play with this tonight with my E61. Using the templates as defined by the 1.7 provisioning spec, I was able to produce the wap-provisioning XML for Voxalot and convert it to WBXML.

As was the problem last time, the WBXML needs to be sent to the phone OTA (over the air).

I will let you know once I complete this last part of the process.

nokuser 07-10-2007 09:50 PM

Xml

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 10165)
I had a play with this tonight with my E61. Using the templates as defined by the 1.7 provisioning spec, I was able to produce the wap-provisioning XML for Voxalot and convert it to WBXML.

As was the problem last time, the WBXML needs to be sent to the phone OTA (over the air).

Martin, Can you provide us with the wap-provisioning XML for Voxalot? I am sure it is not that difficult to find the way to put it in the phone using OTA.

martin 07-10-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokuser (Post 10188)
Martin, Can you provide us with the wap-provisioning XML for Voxalot? I am sure it is not that difficult to find the way to put it in the phone using OTA.

I can by request. The last thing I want to do is publish something that is not 100% complete.

Please PM me if you are interested.

AlexErko 07-10-2007 10:54 PM

I believe that the Nokia VoIP client is fundamentally the same irrespective of the Nokia model or series of models in which it may be running.

Consequently, I suggest that there be consideration of the modification of the title of this thread from "Nokia eSeries Support" to simply "Nokia Support".

AlexErko 07-17-2007 03:28 AM

Google is a strange beast: even though it was not my intention, a post Voip Data Usage - Mobile Data - Whirlpool Broadband Forums about the failings of Nokia's VoIP software, that I did a few days ago in the Whirlpool forum, now comes up at or near the top of Google's search results when you do the following search: warning nokia voip software .

dipac 07-17-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexErko (Post 10511)
Voip Data Usage - Mobile Data - Whirlpool Broadband Forums.

I followed the thread you mentioned and used the instructions to send a configuration to may mobile (with 3) and it worked. But eventhough i provided a STUN server (stun.freshtel.net) and have the CLRF enabled, it still stops receiving incoming calls after a while but outgoing has never been a problem. I have an N95 and the firmware verison 12.0.013 (v 11.0.026 never behaved this way). I'm thinking that this is a bug...

I have provided a link below to my mobile config file without the voxalot account and password for those interested.

http://users.on.net/~tolowora/Kml/mobileConfig.xml

Provide feedback if you think i missed something.

You'll also notice that i left all the codec at default. This is because i prefer PCMU (on an x-series data plan, i don't seem to use too much data - mind you i've got ADSL2+ at home)

dipac 07-17-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 10165)

NowSMS (60 day trial) will do the OTA install for you.

Is my config broadly in line with your? Anything i need to change?

dipac 07-18-2007 03:50 AM

I have just had another look at my setup and one thing i now have installed and didn't have in v 11.0.026 is F-Secure. I've just gone in there and under the firewall setting allowed all.

I'll try to call my phone in another hour and if incoming works then F-Secure would have been my problem all along.

Fingers crossed.

:)

Edit: Okay... Culprit was F-Secure. All's okay for me now with VOIP + Voxalot in N95.

Guys having issues with the E-series... Do you have F-Secure, disabling firewall may solve your problems as it did mine.

AlexErko 07-18-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipac (Post 10582)
I have just had another look at my setup and one thing i now have installed and didn't have in v 11.0.026 is F-Secure. I've just gone in there and under the firewall setting allowed all.

I'll try to call my phone in another hour and if incoming works then F-Secure would have been my problem all along.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Okay... Culprit was F-Secure. All's okay for me now with VOIP + Voxalot in N95.

Guys having issues with the E-series... Do you have F-Secure, disabling firewall may solve your problems as it did mine.

Unfortunately, as my E70 firmware does not include F-Secure, that cannot be the cause of my phone's failure to receive calls within a short time of registering it.

I guess I will have to wait until Martin has the time to send me the setting changes I asked him for recently. (I am worried that if I try doing that stuff myself that I will stuff up my phone; without some step by step help at least.)

Anyway, I am happy that you have found the cause of your problem. Congratulations!

AlexErko 07-20-2007 12:01 PM

First the good news:

I can now reliably receive VoIP calls when I am registered to VoXaLot and I am using the Nokia VoIP client over a 3G connection. I was advised of the correct settings by another VoXaLot user, tmon, in the Whirlpool forum. Here is a link to that post: Voip Data Usage - Mobile Data - Whirlpool Broadband Forums

And here is the verbatim advice from tmon:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My Nokia VOIP is registered with Voxalot... settings below

Service Profile: IETF
Default Access Point: Mobile Internet
Public Username: VoxalotUserID@au.voxalot.com
Use Compression: No
Use Secirity: No

Proxy Server:
Address: None
Realm: None
Username: None
Password: None
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport Type: Auto
Port: 5060

Registrar Server:
Address: au.voxalot.com
Realm: voxalot.com
Username: VoxalotUserID
Password: VoxalotPass
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport Type: UDP
Port: 5060

After the above if everything went okay, you should be registered - Remember that the Back button saves your changes. But to get incoming you need to do the next step outlined below

Goto Tools --> Settings --> Connection --> Internet Tel.

Create a new profile (if there isn't one already) and call it whatever you want (or leave default name "Default")
Under SIP profiles select the voxalot account you created above.

And that's it. Remember to use the Back buttons as that's how the settings get saved. Otherwise they are discarded."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the not so good news:

If you have a regular speed 3G connection, ie NOT a high speed (HSPDA) 3G connection, you should do an upload speed test to see what your upload bandwidth is.

The reason for that test is simply due to the fact that the Nokia VoIP client by default utilisies one of the G.711 codecs, but I am not sure which one. Anyway, a G.711 codec needs 64kbps to function properly. So, if your upload bandwidth is less than that you should either change over to fring which uses less bandwidth, or the settings in your Nokia VoIP client should be changed to only allow the use of G.729.

Two days ago I changed over to the Three 3G network. I have only been able to get an upload speed of 56kbps on Three. When I make outgoing VoIP calls, the outgoing voice from my phone is terrible, but the incoming voice is fine. When my wife calls me using an ATA, which is set to only use G.729, and is logged into another VoXaLot account, both sides of the conversation are fine.

It seems to me, therefore, that the codec settings of any Nokia VoIP client need to be changed to G.729 only, where there is less than 64kbps upload available to the user of that client. (Some 3G phones, such as my Nokia E70, are not capable of the higher speeds available from HSDPA, and some networks may throttle upload speeds.)

Hopefully Martin will be able to see his way clear soon to help me with the codec change to my Nokia VoIP client, as changing codec settings is not able to be done via the client's user interface.

martin 07-20-2007 12:46 PM

Good stuff Alex. If you PM me your Voxalot details, I will give you access to the test server where we can force particular Codecs for the purpose of testing.

affinity 07-20-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexErko (Post 10697)
Two days ago I changed over to the Three 3G network. I have only been able to get an upload speed of 56kbps on Three.

Yes, I believe that was a 'design' consideration by Three so as to make it a less suitable network for VoIP use -- they could easily allow 128kbps up, but chose not to and that really sucks.

dipac 07-21-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affinity (Post 10699)
Yes, I believe that was a 'design' consideration by Three so as to make it a less suitable network for VoIP use -- they could easily allow 128kbps up, but chose not to and that really sucks.

Not true. I use VOIP on Three's x-series service everyday with no voice issues on both sides. AlexErko's speed limitation is due to the mobile phone model that he's got not Three.

In fact, x-series provides minimum 1000 minutes of free skype-to-skype calls in the package.

affinity 07-21-2007 10:28 AM

Using standards based VoIP is one thing, Skype is another. It was correctly pointed out that lower level bandwidths work fine -- such as G729, G723 or iLBC for example. Many consider G711[u or a] to be carrier grade, but this requires more upstream bandwidth than the other CODECs to work properly.

So, yes, you can use 3 for VoIP, provided you use the right CODEC or the proprietory Skype software.