Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   restricting numbers on virtual toll free (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=1926)

herman 07-21-2007 12:39 PM

restricting numbers on virtual toll free

My objective is to restrict the numbers that virtual toll free will call. I want to be much more restrictive on the numbers I allow for virtual toll free than for calls from home which I have (in theory) more control over.

The way I do this at present is to have two Voxalot accounts, one I use for routing my VoIP providers for most calls (premium account) one I use for Virtual toll free (Basic account). I use dial plans, or whatever they are called now, to restrict the numbers I allow on the basic account (I route restricted calls to an invalid number).

I then use the call forwarding to route calls from the Basic account to the premium account. However this will become chargeable, I believe, and I don't want to pay twice just for the priviledge of restricting calls.

So today I tried the obvious logical alternative, which is to register the basic account in the providers of my premium account, but this is not allowed (the error message is that the voxalot server is already a provider).

Any other ideas anyone as to how to achieve the objective at the beginning without paying for two accounts. I don't begrudge paying money (we have had the service free up until now of course) but I do think that paying twice is a bit steep.

foneboxx 07-21-2007 01:42 PM

why not only use the smart call (dial plan)?

herman 07-21-2007 02:22 PM

because, as I said in my original post, I want to be much more restrictive on the numbers I allow for virtual toll free than for calls from home which I have (in theory) more control over.

That means, for example, I am happy to rack up premium rate or mobile charges which I have initiated, but not which someone else has iniitiated through the virtual toll free.

affinity 07-21-2007 03:08 PM

Okay, how about this for a solution:
  • every device that you trust should prepend a known and fixed bunch of digits to every called number;
  • Treat the prefix set of digits as a PIN and don't disclose it to others;
  • create dial plans that only allow your 'premium' dialing if the known prefix is used.

affinity 07-21-2007 03:13 PM

Given the above.... a better alternative would be for the virtual toll free product to do a special prefix that you can take into account in your dial plans. Such prefix should be settable and changeable by you and perhaps the dial plan rules could substitute the prefix in rules with a variable placeholder.

The above can be done transparently by Voxalot with a separate dial plan group only applying to virtual toll free and if done this way, then a prefix wouldn't be needed.

herman 07-21-2007 05:32 PM

The idea's growing on me, but my problem with it is that I don't want anybody at home or calling via the virtual toll free button to have to remember a prefix. I prefer using the dial string as security.

However on the plus side, if you could add a "hidden" prefix it would give me the chance to use one account for everything, which would be even better than what I have at the moment.

affinity 07-22-2007 02:34 AM

The prefix will be auto-entered each time on your trusted devices (provided it is possible); this is before the number gets to voxalot for dial plan evaluation.

The hidden idea seems much better to me, particularly if it could be done transparently with an extra field on the dial plan screens requiring an approval tick in order to be used by virtual toll free.

martin 07-22-2007 04:10 AM

Thanks guys, suggestions noted.

martin 11-27-2007 03:47 AM

Update: This suggestion has been implemented with a new field on the dial plan entry:

Virtual Toll Free Enabled*