Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   G711u/a Codec (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=1656)

Hellmaker 06-03-2007 01:16 PM

G711u/a Codec

Hi,

i noticed that voxalot isnt supporting the g711u/a Codec at the moment.

Are there any plans to get used of it? Or is this not possible to do?

I would be very happy if i could have better voice quality with using the g711u/a codecs.....

greetings

affinity 06-03-2007 02:35 PM

ulaw and alaw are the G711u and G711a equivalents; these are supported by Voxalot.

Hellmaker 06-03-2007 05:21 PM

mhhh my viop client just supports all the G.723.1, G.729a, G.711u, G.711a, G.726 codecs.........

i think it is using the g729 then?

is there any way to configure it to use the ulaw/alaw ones? or must it be supported by my voip client?

martin 06-03-2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellmaker (Post 9305)
mhhh my viop client just supports all the G.723.1, G.729a, G.711u, G.711a, G.726 codecs.........

i think it is using the g729 then?

is there any way to configure it to use the ulaw/alaw ones? or must it be supported by my voip client?

Codec setup is always in 2 parts:

1. Between VoIP client and voxalot the setup is done at the client. So if you want to restrict codecs between the VoIP client and voxalot you must do so in the client itself.

2. Between voxalot and the provider the setup is done on the provider details page. If you want to restrict codecs between voxalot and the provider then you must edit the Codecs value on this page.

Note: If you want to avoid transcoding then make sure that the codecs defined in both 1 & 2 are the same.

affinity 06-03-2007 11:32 PM

The CODEC which is used depends on a number of things. First the VSP has to support it, then your ATA and Voxalot.

Some VSPs only do G729, others accept more options.

Most refer to G711a and G711u as just that whilst Voxalot refer to them as ulawa and ulawu. The 'right' CODEC setup for you depends mostly on your equipment and VSP advertised capaibilty -- note that some VSPs require you to request particular CODECS be available for use with your account too.

usf 06-04-2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9306)
Codec setup is always in 2 parts:

2. Between voxalot and the provider the setup is done on the provider details page. If you want to restrict codecs between voxalot and the provider then you must edit the Codecs value on this page.

...snip....

In provider detail page. it lists the order of the code is
g729;ilbc;gsm;ulaw;alaw

if I change the order of codec, does it affects to restrict codecs also (if change the first is alaw but not g729, what will be different affect)?

Do voxalot support g726 and g723? if yes, why not add in the list ?
Do au.voxalot,com, eu.voxalot.com , us.voxalot.com. their support codecs are same ?

martin 06-04-2007 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usf (Post 9309)
In provider detail page. it lists the order of the code is
g729;ilbc;gsm;ulaw;alaw

if I change the order of codec, does it affects to restrict codecs also (if change the first is alaw but not g729, what will be different affect)?

The order defines the priority. If alaw is first then that is the preferred codec to be used between voxalot and the provider. If you remove a codec from the list, then the codec will not be used.

Quote:

Do voxalot support g726 and g723? if yes, why not add in the list ?

Yes it does. For now you can manually add to the list. We will add them as defaults soon.

Quote:

Do au.voxalot,com, eu.voxalot.com , us.voxalot.com. their support codecs are same ?

Yes, all servers are identical in that respect.

Hellmaker 06-06-2007 04:25 PM

ok im back but i dont realy understand....

so my configuration is like that:

my ata device loged in -> voxalot loged in -> voip number provider

so when someone is calling my voip number i have to set all codec on all 3 "stations" to be the same to avoid decoding! right?

but when voxalot isnt supporting g711 it will be decoded?

my ata device [g711] -> voxalot [g729] -> voip provider [g711]
the incomming call will decoded from the voip provider to voxalot into g729 and send to my device in g729 because voxalot cant handle g711?

i realy hope you understand my problem.
unfortunately my english is very bad......

gambrinus 06-06-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellmaker (Post 9341)
but when voxalot isnt supporting g711 it will be decoded?

Voxalot supports G.711u and G.711a!!! They just refer to it as ulaw and alaw. Just set the codec order in Voxalot's provider section appropriately or delete all except alaw and/or ulaw.

See affinity's posting above:
Quote:

Originally Posted by affinity
ulaw and alaw are the G711u and G711a equivalents; these are supported by Voxalot.

Wikipedia about G.711:
Quote:

There are two main algorithms defined in the standard, the µ-law algorithm (used in North America & Japan) and A-law algorithm (used in Europe and the rest of the world). Both are logarithmic, but A-law was specifically designed to be simpler for a computer to process. The standard also defines a sequence of repeating code values which defines the power level of 0 dB.

The µ-law and A-law algorithms encode 14-bit and 13-bit signed linear PCM samples (respectively) to logarithmic 8-bit samples. Thus, the G.711 encoder will create a 64 kbit/s bitstream for a signal sampled at 8 kHz.
gambrinus

Hellmaker 06-07-2007 01:39 PM

ok now i understand!

thx! i tried out and it works!